Monday, November 5, 2007

Fears and Phobias

I was afraid to look out the window at night until a few years ago because once, when I was 9 or 10, I saw a face in my grandparent's kitchen window. After waking the entire house up with my scream, it turned out to be an oddly shaped planter on a window shelf.

It's interesting how we pick up phobias or irrational fears of things along our journey through childhood. I've had the following completely irrational fears over the years: 
- nervous about calling businesses or people that I don't know personally on the phone. 
- having to shut all doors, drawers, and cover all windows before bed so if a monster was there, at least I couldn't see it and get scared. 
- not letting my foot hang outside the bed covers for fear that some carpet or under-bed monster would eat my foot. 
- having to sleep with my back against a wall at all times for fear of being attacked from behind. 
- going to new places by myself. 
- popping a balloon with a pin. 
- for just one night, I really believed that the television could turn on by itself and an evil girl would be able to emerge from the screen and get me. That particular night I ended up sleeping in a room by myself with a T.V. For some reason though, I thought if I turned the T.V. on, and kept it on all night, the evil girl couldn't get through. I have the following TOTALLY rational fears (in my opinion): 
 - seeing distorted or melting faces. 
- contact with black widows (and other poisonous or possibly poisonous spiders). 
- losing my teeth.
And, I'm not irrationally afraid of any of the following (except if there was actually danger): 
 - pets and wild animals in general
- flying (except take-off and landing - give me a break).
- dentists (I have a healthy amount of anxiety sometimes, but I usually do OK)
- needles
- clowns (Ok, they creep me out sometimes, but afraid? I'm not sure)
- crowds 
- public speaking (if I have something to say and/or am prepared) 

 I can't think of any more major phobias at this time. If you feel like commenting, I'd like to hear some of your IRRATIONAL fears in particular.

No comments: