Wednesday, January 31, 2018

For The Ones Left Behind

On January 23, 2018, I lost my great aunt Lois. The very next day, on January 24, 2018, I lost a former coworker and friend named Phil.

I've heard comedians joke about the use of the word "lost" to talk about people who have died. It's not like they're missing and we can't find them, so why do we use that word? Maybe it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with how WE feel.  We feel like we've lost something, someone. They are not in fact lost (one hopes). No matter what you believe happens after, the feeling of loss when someone you care about dies is universal. I feel privileged to have had both of these special people in my life.
--------------------------------------

Those with the largest capacity for light
Can suffer the darkness inside twice as bright.

We see each other through "me-colored" glass
And wonder why days like this come to pass.

One would think us connected, with Face glued to Book.
One tremor. One candle flicker. The whole world--It shook.

Then came the "Hellos" and the "So good to see yous"
The "I can't believe its" and (of course) lots of booze.

Together, we reach out to the stars and shout, "Why?!"
They twinkle and whisper, "We love you. Goodbye."



No comments: